Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Glasgow Hawks RFC app


2nd XV match report v Boroughmuir

11 months ago By Hugh Barrow

Report from Meggetland

After the previous weeks game against Stirling having to be postponed due to a waterlogged pitch Hawks veered tasked with a difficult game against Boroughmuir at Meggetland.

Muir were just 1 place below the Glasgow men so it was bound to be a close game. On arriving at the game it was evident the wind would have a massive bearing on the game with each team having to play one half into a Gael.

Hawks won the toss and elected to play into the wind in the first half. Kicking for territory was never going relieve any pressure so the men from Anniesland looked to starve Boroughmuir of possession. This led to some of the best rugby of the season with back and forward working together to show great balance and shape in attack. This was expertly marshalled by scrum half Ross Thomson who looked to play at a tempo that kept Muir on the back foot.

Boroughmuir, as expected, dominated the early territorial battle however the Hawks defence was solid throughout with solid hits from Andrew Linton and Sione Halafihi thwarting the big carriers of Muir.
Skipper Henderson and fellow back row partner Struan Dow were a nuisance at the break down and managed to slow down ball which prevented Muir from putting Hawks under too much pressure.

However the deadlock was broken when the Muir 10 spotted a mismatch and managed to use his pace to get round the outside of the Hawks forward and score under the posts.

From the kickoff Hawks managed to regain possession and put Muir under pressure for the first time in the game. James Couper always managed to beat the first man and linked well with the players in support while Robbie Houliston ran like a bull and was hard to bring down all day. Constant pressure in the 22 eventually led to Pete Steele scoring after an inside ball to put Hawks level with Scott Peffers converting to make the score 7-7.

Just before the half Muir managed to slot 2 penalties which was testament to Hawks resolute defence and they were happy to be going into half time just 6 points down with the wind in the second half.

After half time both teams played in the middle of the park with neither team able to put the other under any real pressure until a slick interchange between back and forwards allowed Halafihi to breenge into the 22. It looked like a score was imminent however a couple of guilt edge opportunities were not finished off which eventually resulted in a mistake that allowed Muir possession.

Much like Hawks had done in the first half Muir starved the opposition of possession. As the half went on Muir also started to get dominance in the scrum which allowed them a platform to launch their attacks while Hawks got little clean ball.

Boroughmuirs pacey half backs started to dictate the game and from a Hawks scrum a poor offload allowed the Muir 9 to intercept and scamper up field to score a try and make it 20-7 with 20 minutes to go.

Hawks scores almost immediately as from the kick off Muir knocked on allowing Hawks a scrum. Muir dominated however they left a gap for replacement scrum half Siems to dart down the 5m channel and score. Peffers was unable to convert which made the score 20-13.

In the final 15 minutes Hawks did not manage to win the possession or territory battle with players being tackled into touch and the ball being kicked dead. When Hawks did find territory from an Andrew Linton stab through the Muir 9 managed a piece of individual brilliance with a chip and chase which he managed to collect and run to the Hawks 22m before Hawks had to infringe and give away a penalty. From the resulting scrum Captain Henderson was yellow carded for a needless shoulder barge which left Hawks down a man and a score.

Muir looked to wind down the clock however after numerous phases they managed to break down the Hawks defence when a handoff and poor inside defence allowed them to score next to the post to take the score to 27-13.

The Edinburgh men finished the stronger making another break down the short side taking them into the Hawks 22 where they managed to close out the game.

A disappointing result for Hawks and a scoreline that flattered the men from Meggetland however it was thoroughly deserved as they took their opportunities and managed the wind better than their Hawks counterparts.

Some strong performances however man of the match has to go to Ross Thomson after his best outing of the season in a Hawks jersey. Next week the 2’s have a week off and will replay their game against Stirling the following week at Old Anniesland

Updated 09:18 - 4 Nov 2017 by Hugh Barrow

Where next?

Hawks lose to Marr Matt Vallance reports in the Scotsman
Davidson starts for Falcons Once a Hawk now a Falcon

Sat 20 Oct
League 15:00
Sat 27 Oct
League 15:00

News sponsors

Club sponsors