Main Club Sponsor - ACT CONSTRUCTION (UK)
Principal Partner - KELVINSIDE ACADEMY
Fri 14
Five try win

Five try win

By Hugh Barrow
Share via

Paul Ramsay gets double

Five tries saw Hawks home 39-15 over WATSONIANS at Old ANNIESLAND
Tries came from Paul Ramsay 2 Paddy Boyer Brendan McGroarty and Tom
The rest of the points came from the boot of MOM George Horne

Courtesy of Wasonians website

Morgane Jarles reports on the first XV’s BT Cup exit last week.

Watsonians lost to Glasgow Hawks in the second round of the BT Cup 39-15 on Friday evening. The Glaswegians scored five tries from Paul Ramsay (2), Paddy Boyer, Brendan McGroarty and Andrew Kirkland. George Horne’s boot gave his team 14 points thanks to four conversions and two penalty kicks. For Watsonians the points came from a penalty by Brian Walls and an unconverted try by Rory Steele in the first half and Reiss Cullen, pictured, scored a try converted by Chad Northcott in the second half.

Hayden Diack made his debut in the first XV at stand-off, while Rory Drummond was back from injury at No.8. Robbie Greenhalgh and Tom Hart were back in the starting team. Callum Sheldon and Dan Elkington both started in the first-row, and so did Euan Martin in the second-row.

Like last week, Watsonians did not display their best game in the first half. The first intentions came from the Edinburgh side and resulted in a successful penalty kick by Walls (0-3, 3’). However, the hosts immediately replied with a try by Ramsay, who made the most of the defence’s lack of tackling to race away for the touchdown. George Horne added the extra points (7-3, 4’).

Scrum-half Boyer added an unconverted try 10 minutes later after an excellent chip kick (12-3, 15’). Thanks to a clever kick into the corner from Hart, Watsonians replied with an unconverted try by Steele on the right (12-8, 17’). Glasgow Hawks held on to possession throughout the rest of the first half. Outside centre McGroarty easily went through a gap to score the hosts’ third try, which was converted by Horne (19-8, 25’). As Boyer came off, the latter moved to scrum-half and Jack Steele came on at stand-off. The set pieces were not going particularly well for Watsonians who were penalized on a couple of occasions. Horne successfully kicked a penalty that the visitors gave away in their own half (22-8, 29’), then right winger Tom Steven and McGroarty worked well together to take the ball up on the right. Horne kicked another penalty through the posts (25-8, 36’, score at HT).

There were a couple of changes for Watsonians after the break as Cullen replaced Walls and Aaron Johnston came on for Drummond. The Edinburgh side displayed a few attempts in attack, with Scott McKean cutting in. Then Johnston and Steele both made ground after the ball was stolen in a lineout. Hawks benefitted from a turnover and the backline once again showed off their fast pace as Ramsay cut in and offloaded to McGroarty who broke the line. Ramsay scored a try in the left corner after a well negotiated scrum off which the hosts played on the blind side. Horne added the extras (32-8, 57’).

Share via

Match details

Match date

Fri 14, Nov 2014



Meet time