Main Club Sponsor - ACT CONSTRUCTION (UK)
Principal Partner - KELVINSIDE ACADEMY
Sat 31
Hawks lose in HAWICK

Hawks lose in HAWICK

By Hugh Barrow
Share via

Green wall at Mansfield

Hawks hit a "Green" wall and have to console themselves with a point...
Hawick 14 Glasgow Hawks 10


Tries: McKee 32, Renwick 44
Con: Renwick 32, 44

Glasgow Hawks

Tries: Ramsey 24, Linton 80

Much of the drama in this match had passed before the kick off as Hawick managed to remove several inches of snow with the aid of two “mini-snowploughs”. What would have been a typical scene from a Hawick Christmas card was now a more acceptable surface for the rugby to be played on.

Then the players, officials and supporters of both sides put their hands together in an act or remembrance and appreciation for long time Hawick supporter, Janet Brydon, who had recently passed away

Janet was the sponsor of Hawick player-coach, Nikki Walker, and it seemed appropriate that one of the Teries’ favourite sons, should be wearing the number 14 jersey which she favoured and sponsored him in.

The preparations over, the match kicked off but it rapidly became apparent that the playing surface was deteriorating rapidly, there were murmurings from the Hawks fans that this would prove a problem for the Glasgow backs, but when you considered that the Hawick backline contained, Rory Hutton, Neil Renwick, Scott McLeod and the aforementioned Walker both sides would be disadvantaged.

A couple of early spills of the ball suggested that the error count would be high, but this wasn’t assisted by referee, Neil Paterson’s, performance which was unsympathetic to the conditions.
In the 8th minute Hawks sent out a declaration of intent as the pack bossed their opposite numbers mauling the ball over 20 metres before the referee called for a Hawks’ offside.

Given the conditions, it was surprising that it was more than ten minutes for the first scrum, which went to Hawick and quick ball saw the contest nipped here.

Hawks’ came close to opening the scoring at the start of the second quarter as Paul Ramsey seemed to go straight through, but the increasingly heavy conditions appeared to hold him back and he was bundled out.

#The Glasgow side eventually opened the scoring after Hawick had been pressing. Paddy Boyer opened the move scuttling across and finding Brendan McGroarty space. The midfield spotted a gap and with a burst of pace was through as he was tackled he off loaded to Mateusz Bartoszek who “rummeled” through the last of the defenders before he passed to Ramsey who finished the move off running in from more than 22 metres. Unfortunately, the conversion was missed but Hawks had the lead. (0-5)

Within 8 minutes, Hawick had taken the initiative, just like Hawks had by turning defence into attack. The visitors turned the ball over in their own half. There was a bit of a melee on the far touch and out of the glaur bounded, Hawick lock Mike McKee. Defying the attention for five backs and the Hawick mud he negotiated the hazards and went over for the score. With Hawick winger Neil Renwick adding the conversion it was advantage to the Greens (7-5)

It was hard to see any pattern to the game and any control either side was attempting to assert was disrupted when Hawick’s stand-off Rory Hutton and Boyer were sent to the naughty step for what appeared to be a bit of “hand-bags” immediately before half-time.

As the game restarted the home side pulled further ahead quickly when Hawick again turned Hawks over. Scrum-half Greg Cottrell had a nifty little break before he deftly passed to winger Renwick who went over for a well taken try. With Renwick gaoling his own score, Hawick were in firm control of the scoreboard. (14-5)

Hawks’ now had a job of work to do and they certainly worked hard at the task. But there was a green wall which saw Hawick frustrate the attempts to close the Glasgow side.

In 68 minutes Hawks seemed to be over but a maul was penalised as they appeared to touch down for crossing. The Glasgow men had been in the Greens’ 22 for 22 minutes before the Captain, Andrew Linton, went over for a try. As Jack Steele had been off for some time it fell to Boyer to take the conversion which hit an upright. (14-10)

Hawks tried, gamely, to keep the ball alive and try to get a winning try but it was appropriate, on Superbowl weekend, that Hawick’s defensive “control of the clock” saw the game finish with a win for the home side.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 31, Jan 2015



Meet time



BT Premiership